admin
  1楼 个性首页 | 博客 | 信息 | 搜索 | 邮箱 | 主页 | UC

加好友 发短信
等级:管理员 贴子:1099 积分:10268 威望:0 精华:2 注册:2003/12/30 16:34:32
第六届“《英语世界》杯”翻译大赛启事及原文  发贴心情 Post By:2015/5/18 13:47:01

第六届“《英语世界》杯”翻译大赛原文

AGarden That Welcomes Strangers

By Allen Lacy

I donot know what became of her, and I never learned her name. But I feel that Iknew her from the garden she had so lovingly made over many decades.

Thehouse she lived in lies two miles from mine – a simple, two-story structurewith the boxy plan, steeply-pitched roof and unadorned lines that are typicalof houses built in the middle of the nineteenth century near the New Jerseyshore.

Hergarden was equally simple. She was not a conventional gardener who dideverything by the book, following the common advice to vary her plantings sothere would be something in bloom from the first crocus in the spring to thelast chrysanthemum in the fall. She had no respect for the rule that says thattall-growing plants belong at the rear of a perennial border, low ones in thefront and middle-sized ones in the middle, with occasional exceptions fordramatic accent.

In hergarden, everything was accent, everything was tall, and the evidence was plainthat she loved three kinds of plant and three only: roses, clematis and lilies,intermingled promiscuously to pleasant effect but no apparent design.

Shegrew a dozen sorts of clematis, perhaps 50 plants in all, trained and tied sothat they clambered up metal rods, each rod crowned intermittently throughoutthe summer by a rounded profusion of large blossoms of dark purple, richcrimson, pale lavender, light blue and gleaming white.

Hertaste in roses was old-fashioned. There wasn’t a single modern hybrid tea roseor floribunda in sight. Instead, she favored the roses of other ages – the Yorkand Lancaster rose, the cabbage rose, the damask and the rugosa rose in severalvarieties. She propagated her roses herself from cuttings stuck directly in theground and protected by upended gallon jugs.

Lilies,I believe were her greatest love. Except for some Madonna lilies it isimpossible to name them, since the wooden flats stood casually here and therein the flower bed, all thickly planted with dark green lily seedlings. Theoccasional paper tag fluttering from a seed pod with the date and record of across showed that she was an amateur hybridizer with some special fondness forlilies of a warm muskmelon shade or a pale lemon yellow.

Shebelieved in sharing her garden. By her curb there was a sign: “This is mygarden, and you are welcome here. Take whatever you wish with your eyes, butnothing with your hand.”

Untilfive years ago, her garden was always immaculately tended, the lawn keptfertilized and mowed, the flower bed free of weeds, the tall lilies carefullystaked. But then something happened. I don’t know what it was, but the lawn wasmowed less frequently, then not at all. Tall grass invaded the roses, theclematis, the lilies. The elm tree in her front yard sickened and died, andwhen a coastal gale struck, the branches that fell were never removed.

Withevery year, the neglect has grown worse. Wild honeysuckle and bittersweet runrampant in the garden. Sumac, ailanthus, poison ivy and other uninvited thingsthreaten the few lilies and clematis and roses that still struggle forsurvival.

Lastyear the house itself went dead. The front door was padlocked and the windowscovered with sheets of plywood. For many months there has been a for sale signout front, replacing the sign inviting strangers to share her garden.

I driveby that house almost daily and have been tempted to load a shovel in my cartrunk, stop at her curb and rescue a few lilies from the smothering thicket ofweeds. The laws of trespass and the fact that her house sits across the streetfrom a police station have given me the cowardice to resist temptation. But hergarden has reminded me of mortality; gardeners and the gardens they make arefragile things, creatures of time, hostages to chance and to decay.

Lastweek, the for sale sign out front came down and the windows were unboarded. Acrew of painters arrived and someone cut down the dead elm tree. This morningthere was a moving van in the driveway unloading a swing set, a barbecue grill,a grand piano and a houseful of sensible furniture. A young family is movinginto that house.

I hopethat among their number is a gardener whose special fondness for old roses andclematis and lilies will see to it that all else is put aside until that flowerbed is restored to something of its former self.

(选自Patterns: A Short Prose Reader, by Mary Lou Conlin, published by HoughtonMifflin Company, 1983.)

支持(0中立(0反对(0单帖管理 | 引用 | 回复 回到顶部
帅哥哟,离线,有人找我吗?
mikhop
  2楼 个性首页 | 博客 | 信息 | 搜索 | 邮箱 | 主页 | UC

加好友 发短信
等级:初出茅庐 贴子:26 积分:214 威望:0 精华:0 注册:2022/7/11 14:59:18
  发贴心情 Post By:2022/8/25 14:02:50

久不实现的愿望也成了梦想,成了夙愿,成了心中的痛。然而我依然相信,依然执着于我的梦想。把眼泪种在心上,会开出勇敢的花,可以在疲惫的时光,闭上眼睛闻到芬芳。 幸运飞艇走势图福彩双色球走势图幸运时时彩走势图 在你的生命中,不要让别人来告诉你,你做不到。如果你有一个梦想,并对它满怀激情,你一定要保护它。当别人做不到一件事实,他们就会告诉你 你也做不到;但这不是事实。别人的永远都不会绝对发生在你身上。

支持(0中立(0反对(0单帖管理 | 引用 | 回复 回到顶部

返回版面帖子列表

第六届“《英语世界》杯”翻译大赛启事及原文

签名  

Abercrombie,Abercrombie Deutschland,Abercrombie München,Hollister,Hollister München,Hollister Deutschland,Hollister Online Shop,Nike Free,Nike Free Run,Nike Schuhe,Nike Air Max,Louis Vuitton,Louis Vuitton Taschen,Louis Vuitton Online Shop,Louis Vuitton Outlet,Hollister,Hollister Stockholm,Hollister Sverige,Louis Vuitton,Louis Vuitton Väskor,Louis Vuitton Stockholm,Louis Vuitton Väska,Louis Vuitton Neverfull,Ray Ban,Ray Ban Solglasögon,Ray Ban Wayfarer,Ray Ban Aviator,Nike Free,Nike Free Run,Air Max,Nike Air Max,Nike Skor,Ralph Lauren,Polo Ralph Lauren,Ralph Lauren Sverige,Ralph Lauren Outlet